Thursday, February 14, 2008

Tuesday, 12th February, 2008 1:53 PM

My god. I have just spent an hour in a room full of people waiting to die, listening to some old fella crack jokes about "flying wind breaks" or something,

"See I said wind breaks, I didn't say the other word," chuckle, chuckle.
Dude, it wasn't funny the first two times and it's still not funny now.

I was so close to walking out and making an appointment at the private clinic that I used to go to, the one that isn't over the road from an old folk's home. BIG mistake to think I can keep an appointment at a medical centre next to a retirement village. Won't be doing that again. The thing that really bugged me is that I made my appointment on Friday. I left work at 11am for an 11.15am appointment. By 12pm I was getting agitated (that really helped my blood pressure check, didn't it? White-coat hypertension didn't get a look-in, I was already suffering from waiting-room hypertension). My agitation did not decrease when the flying fart next to me announced that he never makes an appointment, he just turns up and waits.

Eventually, about an hour after my allotted time I got to see a doctor. He seemed quite nice. Asked me a few questions then handed me a jar and said "any chance you could give us a sample?".

I said, "are you kidding? I sat in that waiting room for an hour trying to hold it in, in case you asked but then I just had to go."

"See what you can squeeze out anyway. I only need three drops."

Well, I gave him more than that. At least half a cup and I didn't even catch it all. One of the many joys of pregnancy I suppose, the constant production of surplus urine.

So it was positive and the medical man said "you are pregnant" so I guess that means it's official then. I can start telling the nearest and dearest. I'm still not quite sure how I feel but I was starting to think I'd imagined the whole thing so I guess it's nice to know I didn't. I can't help thinking about all the things that can still go wrong but anyway, you've got to start somewhere.

The Dr had worked in obstetrics in the UK so he was able to explain the differences between the two systems to me. He recommended we go private as we have cover (but I forgot to ask how much it would cost us as I'm sure they'll sting us for something); he also recommended we go to the local hospital which I think is wise but wasn't sure because for some reason a friend went to a hospital half an hour away. He has referred me to an obstetrician, apparently one recommended by the midwives. Meanwhile, I have to take folic acid, which is in my multi-vits anyway, and I have to have a million blood tests done, which I might try and do tomorrow. I hope I have some blood left at the end of it.

No comments: