Sunday, June 1, 2008

I can keep a secret

I'm quite excited about being pregnant but also surprisingly chilled out about it, so far at least. Last time I was a nervous wreck and could barely keep it to myself and when I did I was convinced it was obvious I was hiding something, which it probably was given the frame of mind I was in.

I know it's early days but I have felt no inclination to tell anyone that I'm pregnant yet, not family nor friends, no one other than Toby. I'm not sure when I will feel like telling people or when it's a good idea to tell people. Perhaps waiting until my appointment with the obstetrician is a good time, but then again it was after our appointment last time that we found out about the missed miscarriage and I'm not sure it's a good idea to try and go through something like that on our own.

I'm feeling a little guilty today. I had two cups of chai tea this morning without really thinking about it, one with breakfast and even used it to swallow my multi-vitamin. Then round at Scott and Lucie's I was offered a green tea and stupidly said yes even though I wasn't sure it was a good idea and I'd already had two cups of chai. Apparently green tea, and to a lesser extent black tea, decreases the absorption of folic acid, which every expectant mother knows is vital to prevent abnormalities such as spina bifida in a baby. Using tea to swallow my vitamin was just dumb. Then tonight, at Libbette's I was poured some wine and didn't feel like I could refuse to take a few sips. I didn't drink the whole glass. I didn't feel like it and started to get a headache so used the virus as an excuse and gave Betty what I'd left. I'm not really too worried but I kind of feel like I should be. I have a number of occasions where I'm going to have to somehow avoid alcohol over the next few weeks: dinner at Scott and Lucie's on Wednesday, which shouldn't be too hard; then a big weekend get-together with friends in two weeks. So maybe I will end up telling a few close friends or, more likely, I'll be asked.

No comments: