Friday, May 30, 2008

Probably pregnant

Day 30 of my cycle. I did a pregnancy test this morning and the result was "probably pregnant". Useful.

Last night I decided I definitely felt pregnant. My boobs started to feel a bit more tender. It was a familiar feeling and seemed like the last piece of the puzzle. So this morning as soon as I woke up I weed on a stick. Now, last time I got pregnant and did this the stick immediately registered me as being so. There was absolutely no doubt.

This time I used a different type of stick and boy was it slow. At first I thought "oh... not pregnant. That's strange because I'm pretty sure I am. Oh well I'll do another one tomorrow." I even dragged Toby in to show him, so incredulous was I.

"Yep. Not pregnant," he agreed.

"Well, it says to give it 3 minutes so I'll just sit and stare at it for a while and see if it changes."

Which I did, and it did. Slowly, a very faint line started to appear in the test window.

"See, here's a line!" I exclaimed, thrusting the stick at Toby.

"Hmmmm..." I could see he wasn't convinced. "I think you need to do another one."

The line did get slightly darker but not much and when I checked the instructions they said that the test line may appear lighter than the other and this means I am probably pregnant. What a useless test. I don't want to know whether I'm probably pregnant. I already knew that I was probably pregnant. I want to know if I am or if I am not.

The test shows levels of HCG (Human chorionic gonadotropin) in the body. By day 30 I would expect there to be conclusive levels so it could be a sign that all is not well. However, I'm more inclined to think that it's just a stupid useless test so on the way to work today I'm going to call in at the chemist and pick up one of the brand I used last time. Not that I especially want to go to work or get out of the car at all on the way. It's absolutely bucketing down. Hope I brought my umbrella home yesterday.

If I am pregnant the due date is approximately 5th February 2009, an acceptable distance from Christmas I think. And if the whole Boy Sperm Swims Fast, Girl Sperm Swims Slow theory is to be believed than I think I will be having a boy. Would still prefer a girl though I think.

It's typical that no sooner did I wax lyrical about the benefits of not being pregnant that I probably am pregnant. It is the case though that I am probably much better off fitness-wise than I was last time. Except for my bad back for which I blame my bike. And I'm way less freaked out this time because I've already been through the emotional stuff. I suspect I may struggle with accepting the pregnancy or breezing through it worry-free given my history. But anyway, all this could be premature as currently I'm only probably pregnant. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: