Saturday, April 16, 2011

Spice Girl

I have given Phoebe some old spice jars to play with in her kitchen. As in jars that used to have spice in them, nothing to do with the aftershave. Although sometimes I wonder as one of Phoebe's favourite phrases is "Look at me", or rather "lookame Mummy" (I'm on a horse).

So anyway I was cooking dinner last night and Phoebe always wants attention at this time of day. It really bugs her that I might have something to do that doesn't directly involve her. I suggested she might want to cook in her kitchen whilst I was cooking in mine. That gave me some reprieve and I managed to plough through dinner and start tidying up.

A short while later Phoebe came into my kitchen carrying a spice jar from hers.

"None left, Mummy," she said and showed me her empty jar.

"Well, you'll just have to pretend," I told her.

"Yes," she said and returned to her kitchen.

Then it occurred to me that something wasn't quite right. Took me a while to put my finger on it but I soon realised that there were traces of spice in the jar she'd just shown me. I'd washed all the ones I'd ever given her to play with (not least because one of them was hot chilli powder). I retraced my steps in the kitchen. Three spice jars out of the cupboard, two back in the cupboard. So the third one must still be on the bench.... nope, nowhere to be seen.

I asked her to show me the spice jar again. Yep, definitely traces of spice in there.

Me: "Phoebe, did you get this jar from the kitchen bench?"
Phoebe: "Yes."
Me: "What did you do with it? Where is the spice that was in the jar?"
Phoebe: "Here Mummy," as she holds aloft her blender jug full of ground coriander.

I persuaded her to give it back as I needed it for cooking and diligently returned the contents back to the jar.

When Toby got home he said, "What's with the ground coriander everywhere?" so I told him the story.

This is what he found in Phoebe's kitchen (minus the jar of cumin, which he added for poetic license):

Actually the photo doesn't do justice to the amount of mess I had to clean up.

No comments: